Friday, January 27, 2012

I have been taking full advantage of my time off and visiting friends and family around the West Coast. I left for Colorado last Friday to see Kevin's Uncle and Aunt. It is so great to stay connected to Kevin's family and hear stories and see pictures that I have never seen before. It is like I get to know and love him more even more after he is gone. We went skiing at Breckenridge and stayed in an amazing resort with a beautiful view. Any outdoor activity helps to reset my emotions and feel alive again and skiing is definitely an amazing way to spend time outdoors. I switched from ski's to a board in the 4th grade and have never looked back...until now. The last couple times I went snowboarding I think I spent more time face flat on the snow than upright so I decided to try skiing again (you know....give my old joints and bones a break : ). It was definitely a little shaky the first couple runs but once I (somewhat) got the hang of it, it was like riding a bike. Uncle Mike was a great teacher and I felt so blessed to be able to be outdoors in the Rockie's with someone Kevin always looked up to.

I flew from Colorado to Modesto, CA to see Kevin's sister, brother, and nieces and nephew. It fills my heart to be with the people the that loved Kevin so much and tell stories with laughter about him. It makes me smile when the little ones call me "Aunt Whitney." There are always good moments and bad moments in every day but when I am with Kevin's family I know that I am also with my family.

We watched a movie called "Courageous" last night. It is a Christian movie, but the message behind it is so powerful. I would encourage everybody to watch that movie. It may not be a blockbuster hit...but it hit so close to home that I would recommend it to every family. No one person or family is immune to tragedy. Before Kevin died I had the attitude that "Bad things don't happen to me, it is always someone else that will carry that burden." I truly believe that it is not what happens to a person that shapes who they are...it is how that person reacts, adapts, and changes for good that will shape that person.

Love your family today...don't put it off until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment