Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To say last weekend was amazing would be an understatement.  It was the first time I have felt normal in exactly 10 months. Yes, today it has been 10 months since the world as I knew it was so cruelly ripped from under my feet and I was left wondering what the hell just happened....and more importantly...how the hell was I supposed to recover from the most earth shattering blow to my heart and soul that could ever happen.

The answer: HOPE!

I attended Camp Widow this weekend and not only was greeted by...but welcomed with open arms by widows of all ages and stages.  It was a place where the most common and accepted questions where...How long ago did your husband/wife die? And....How did they die? Questions that would have you looking like you just escaped from the mental institution had you asked them to any random individual in real life. (Real life is what I call anything outside of my peeps from support groups or my new widow/widower friends from Camp Widow). 

A normal conversation at CW consisted saying the most insane, crazy, sad, humorous, or depressing thoughts out loud and having them met by "I know," "Absolutely," "I have thought that same thing," "I'm thinking that same thing right now," and the most important "You are not alone." In the beginning I thought I was alone in this incredibly difficult and painful journey and I have slowly realized how "not alone" I am. But this weekend was the first time I've felt like not only am I surrounded by incredible people who are going through the same thing I am....but there are people out there who have gone through it and made it to the other side.

When I think about all the amazing people in my life I often say how glad I am they are there and I think about some of the broken journey's that has led me to them. I have always been grateful for the choice (wrong or right) that led me to them. This is one place where I have met some pretty amazing people....though I wish I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment