Friday, May 4, 2012

"When you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill.

Words that I constantly have to remind myself of.  I know this won't last forever, I know that time is what it takes. Time has definitely helped the last 10 months, but just because there has been more "time" does not mean there is less pain.  The pain is less intense than it was 10 months ago...but there are still times when the wave of grief crashes over my body and washes me away again. Those are the times when the pain is still as intense as it was 10 months ago. The  more time that goes on the less time the waves last...but they still come...and there is no way to escape...just to keep going.

I went on an incredible hike in Acadia National Park yesterday and I am definitely feeling it on my out of conditioned body today.  About half way through I came to an intersection where I could keep going on the the strenuous rocky/steep path or I could take the easy carriage road that would cut the rest of my hike by 3 miles and be an easy walk back to the car.  I thought it was a great stopping point for lunch so I sat and pondered and pretty much had my mind made up. I was tired, my legs were sore and I let myself tell myself that I was too out of shape for the rest of this hike and I already saw some pretty beautiful sites so I was letting myself quit and take the easy way back.

Just as I was packing up my lunch I saw a couple pushing a baby stroller on the path I was about to take back and that prompted my old athlete self to kick my new out of shape self in the ass. There was no way I was going to take the "baby stroller" way out.

So I got up and continued on the trail that led to this:



And This:


And This:


Even though for most of the way I had to maneuver and climb my way through this:

But I made it.

I kept going.

Just like I always will...no matter what hell brings my way.

1 comment: