It's hard to believe it's been two months. At times it feels like I haven't seen or talked to him in years and other times it seems like he died yesterday. I went camping last weekend and all I could think about is how much he would have loved it, but then I thought, he loved everything so it's going to be pretty hard to enjoy something knowing he also would have been there with his giant smile right along with me. Summer meant fighting fires, camping, golfing, and fishing; Fall meant hunting and fishing; Winter meant relaxing and fishing; Spring meant getting ready for fire, golfing, camping, and fishing. One particular day after we moved to Boise he was so excited to take me to this special spot to fish that he found while on a fire. It was somewhere in the middle of nowhere south of Boise and when we got there I thought "this place looks exactly like any other place we could have fished that wouldn't have been a two hour drive," but of course I didn't say that because he was so excited. We fished for about and hour before he got really excited and wanted to show me where the fire had been. As he started talking about it I realized he took me there to show me the fire because he had been the Incident Commander Trainee on it and he had directed all the resources to put it out. His eyes lit up and he explained who he called and how the engines got down into the canyon. Kevin rarely tooted his own horn but I was so proud of him. Every time I told him I was proud of him he blushed. The world needs more Kevin's.
No comments:
Post a Comment